Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pork...it's cheaper than beef

I'll admit...sometimes I get tired of eating chicken. I cook with it because what I make with it is usually healthier than what I make with beef or pork and also because it's cheaper (well, if you buy it frozen anyway).

Today however, I bought 2 packs of thin (2 minute cooking) pork chops for 10 chf.  I wanted to make a 'pork medallion' dish that calls for a pork tenderloin.  Pork tenderloins will run anywhere from 20-30 chf.  The recipe calls for 1/2 inch thick slices, so while that does look prettier on a plate than 'strips', these pork chops cut the cost in half.

What you need:
1-2 packs of the thinly cut, boneless pork chops
Sesame oil
4-6 tbls soy sauce (depending on how much liquid you want - I use 5)
2 garlic cloves (or 1 tbls minced from a jar)
2 tbls brown sugar (or muscovado sugar)
1/2 cup Sherry (bought mine from Coop for 7chf)
Optional: 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes



Slice your pork into small strips so they will cook quickly.
Heat up the oil and add the garlic. Cook for about a minute. (add pepper if desired)
Add the pork and cook until browned, then remove to a plate and keep warm.
Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium until slightly thickened. Add the pork back in and cook until coated and heated.

That's it.  Very simple dish.  You could chop up some spring onions (scallions) for decoration on top.  I served it with broccoli.  Usually I make rice to go along with it but didn't have any so I used a box of Ebly from Coop - it's a barley that comes with different seasonings depending on the box. The one I used was the garden flavor.  While good, I think basmati rice goes better with this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment