Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peanut Butter cups

We all know we can't get everything here that we are used to having. Or if we can buy it, it may be three times the cost. Hubby loves Reeses PB cups so I tried making some with the German chocolate I bought in Konstanz.  Usually for baking chocolate, I like the big Bloc bars from Coop and I think those may make these a bit better.

You don't need a lot of ingredients, just a good peanut butter (crunchy or creamy, whichever you prefer), baking chocolate (or choc chips, just something to melt), powdered sugar and salt.

I had a mini muffin pan, but one is not necessary. You do however need the mini baking cups.

First you will need to melt the chocolate. If you are using a baking bar, it should have instructions on how to melt it. If you are using chocolate chips, you can probably put them in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds at a time and then stir.  I melted mine on the stove as I've had problems with the microwave before (even following the instructions perfectly).  I do not have a double boiler so I make my own by putting a small pan on top of a pot of water. Break the chocolate into small chunks (melts faster) and then bring the water to a boil. Keep mixing the chocolate until it is smooth.

Using a teaspoon, pour a little chocolate into each cup, using the spoon to bring some of it up the edges. More is better so the edges are a bit thicker which makes it easier to pull the baking cup off.  Refrigerate until hard - about 1-2 hours.

While the cups are hardening, mix 1 cup of PB with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt. Blend and then add into the hardened cups
Spread more chocolate over the tops of the PB and put back in the fridge for another 2 hours. I found that they melted in your hand a bit at first but the longer you left them in the fridge, the harder they stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment