Monday, August 22, 2011

Orange Chicken...fried yumminess

So for the past few years, my mom has been giving me some recipes...sometimes I cook them, sometimes I don't.  Well, my husband has been pestering me to make this one for quite a while as well, but it didn't sound that interesting to me so I never did. Until today. It wasn't actually that hard. Most of it, you can prepare in advance, as you have time.  I did the chicken early and the first half of the sauce. For the rest I chopped and measured everything else so all I would have to do is throw it together at the last minute. Yay!

What you need:
1 kg chicken - cut into cubes. You can buy the precut chicken as well
1 1/2 c flour
1 beaten egg
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
Peanut oil - erdnussol - I bought mine in Coop

Sauce:
1 1/2 c water (354 ml)
2 tbsp orange juice (as you will need the zest, you can just use the orange)
1/4 c lemon juice
1/3 c rice vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium found at the Thai store)
1 tbsp orange zest - I used my cheese grater
1 c packed brown sugar - you can buy muscovado sugar at jelmoli but I'm not sure how similar it is.
1/2 tsp ginger root - I used the kind in the jar like for sushi since I couldn't find the root at Migros
1/2 tsp garlic (1 clove) minced
2 tbsp green onions - the whole onion.  Also save some to serve on top of the finished dish.
3 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water for thickening

In a deep pan or wok, pour in the peanut oil until you think it will cover the pieces of chicken.

Combine the flour salt and pepper. Put on a dinner size plate. Break an egg into a bowl and beat it with a fork until mixed.  Take a handful of your chopped chicken and coat it in the egg and then transfer it to the flour. Coat with flour and put into the pan of hot oil.
Do not feel the need to put all the chicken in at once unless you have a very large pan and a lot of oil. I did mine in 4 batches.


When the flour has browned, lift the chicken out and place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.

In a large pot (big enough to add your chicken to), combine the water, juices, vinegar and soy sauce. Blend over medium heat for 2 minutes.

Stir in the sugar zest, ginger, garlic and onions.  Bring to a boil.

 Add the cornstarch mixture a little bit at a time and cook until thickened. Add the chicken and heat through.




Serve with rice and/or broccoli  and top with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment