Saturday, October 1, 2011

Potato Salad

Ok...so I think I have said before that my tastes have changed as I've been making my own food and living in Switzerland.  Well, here is another dish that I used to say I didn't like. Granted, I haven't been offered it like this before, but I still would have said no.

This is super easy - but it's best if you leave at least an hour for it to chill in the fridge before serving.  I think it is fantastic with bratwurst or grilled chicken.

What you need:
Chives - Schnittlauch - fresh are best and you can even buy them pre-chopped
Mayonnaise
Red onion
Potatoes - normally I use one package of the raclette ones, but any will work if you don't have those.



Put the potatoes in a pot, filled  with enough water to cover the potatoes (rinse the potatoes off first) and bring to a boil.  You will cook them for about 20-30 minutes (depends on the size of the potato you are using).

While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion and cut the chives into small pieces.  

After about 20 minutes, stick a fork in one potato to test the done-ness.  You don't want it to be super soft, but you also don't want it to be very hard.  The goal is to be able to slice the potatoes into thin slices that will be edible but not break apart either.

After the potatoes are done, drain the water and then let them cool enough to handle. You will then peel the skin off of the potato. A sharp knife is easiest

Put the potato slices in a bowl and add the diced red onion and chopped chives.  Mix together.  Add some mayonnaise (1/4 cup to start) so that everything sticks together.  More or less depending on your taste, but at least enough so everything doesn't fall apart. Add salt and pepper to taste as well.  I leave salt out and only add pepper occasionally.

Serve as a side with bratwurst or grilled chicken.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment