Sunday, July 29, 2012

The fluffy bakery cookies (Lofthouse Cookies)

If you`ve lived in the US, I`m sure you`ve come across them.  Those fluffy cookies with the bright icing, covered in sprinkles.  The ones you can get in the bakery section that are lucky to make it home and are gone in seconds.

Well, while perusing Pinterest yet again for dinner ideas, I came across a blog that made them from a blog and so on and so on (they`re that good!), and decided to try them as well.  They deliver. However, you need to have patience.

I ended up with about 60 cookies. It wasn´t very hard, just a bit time consuming as for some reason I started right before dinner as well and had to take a break.  You could try halving the recipe if you want, and I ended up with extra icing...of course some of my first iced cookies may not have quite as much as the end ones, but you would still end up with some extra icing.

There are a few suggestions...one is to make the dough, then roll it partially out and freeze for about 2 hours to make it easier to work with and not dry.  My freezer is no where near big enough for the dough of 60 soon to be cookies...unless it was empty, but with a recent trip to France for groceries, that isn`t likely...
I lightly floured the surface of a cutting board and then the top of my dough and then the rolling pin, and I was fine.  I did end up putting the rest of the dough in the fridge for an hour or so, but that didn`t make any difference..still as sticky as when I began.  I did not, however, have a problem with any dryness.

I will admit I have not made tons of cookies from scratch, however, these were really fluffy.  Kind of like the scone dough, or tortillas...they would start to spring back to their original lump when I was rolling the dough.

The other suggestion, or recommendation, is to let the cookies sit for a few hours (after icing), so that all their flavors can reach their greatest potential.  So yeah...making cookies and I`m not going to try them?? Not likely.  I was willing to experiment though.  I tried one without icing, and will have to admit I was not very impressed. After icing, I tried one and it was better.  An hour later we tried another and it was a little better.  They were left to sit overnight in sealed bags (again, no Tupperware big enough), and I tried one this morning (who says you can`t have cookies for breakfast), and they were fantastic.

So, if you have patience and want some yummy cookies, this is the cookie for you!

p.s. Sorry about the pictures...my camera is hiding somewhere again

What you need:
For the dough:
6 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup (200g) butter, room temperature
2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c sour cream

(sorry had already creamed the butter here)

For the icing:
1 cup (200g) butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
6 Tbls heavy cream - vollrahm

food coloring and sprinkles if desired




Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mixing well in between. Add the vanilla and sour cream. Mix.



Add your dry ingredients.  The dough is going to be gooey/sticky like you haven`t added enough flour, but is ok.


Lightly flour your work surface and put 1/4-1/2 of the dough on top. Sprinkle with flour and roll out to about a 1/4 in thickness. I used a 2 inch cookie cutter.



Put parchment (baking) paper on your cookie sheet and place in a 425 F (220 C) oven for about 7 minutes. You want a pale golden color.  I`m not really sure what that is, so I left mine until they started changing color on the edges a bit.  Still about 7 minutes though.  Immediately transfer them to a cookie rack to cool. They will slide right off.  And keep going till all your cookies are done.

The cookies need to be completely cool before you ice them, so I waited until they were baked and then about an hour before making the icing.

Cream the butter and the vanilla, and then slowly add in your sugar. Add the cream and  your color last if you are using any.


I used a knife to swirl the icing on the cookies, and then my toddler happily sprinkled them with sprinkles.


Like I mentioned above, these are best after sitting for about 3-4 hours (or overnight). Once the icing has set, you can put the cookies in a container or bags, layering with parchment paper.


Recipe I used from here

No comments:

Post a Comment