Friday, September 2, 2011

Chicken Shwarama

Well, I finally made my chicken shwarama again!  The past few days have been very hectic, so I was glad to have marinated this early (in my seal-able bag of course).  The original recipe is here - another by the fabulous Dede.  If you haven't been to her site yet, you definitely need to check it out.

If you know you're going to be busy in the evening, this is very easy to do early that day or even the day before.
Ignore the tomato puree in my picture - I had another recipe on my mind at the same time.

What you need:
about 500g chicken (either pre-cut, or slice yourself)
1/4 c lemon juice
1-2 containers of Greek yogurt (griechischer) - Coop/Migros
(2 containers if using more chicken or you just like more sauce)
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1 tbls minced from a jar)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cardamom (gemahalener Kardamom)
1/4 tsp 7 Spice (if you don't have it you can make it
1/4 tsp parsley (Petersilie)
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Cayennepfeffer)
1/8 tsp Cinnamon (Zimt
3 tbls Olive Oil
Pita bread/tortillas
Cucumber
Onion
Tomatoes
Feta cheese

A really great dipping sauce that I have used before, but did not make this time can also be found on Dede's site.  Canola oil is Rapsöl

Slice the chicken thinly - cooks faster - and put all your ingredients in a bowl (or a bag). Let marinate for 3 hours, or more.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet and then add the chicken
Meanwhile, if using, slice your cucumber into strips, finely slice the onion, dice the tomatoes and crumble the feta.

I used an indoor electric grill, but you could always 'grill' these in a pan on medium heat with a weight (another pan with cans in them) on top. All you'll miss are the grill marks.  I make other sandwiches this way, but more on that later.

I use tortillas instead of pita bread. 1) they're cheaper, and 2) they're easier to wrap around the contents.
Put some of your chicken, cucumber, onion, tomato and feta inside. Roll like a burrito and then place on your grill/pan. For the grill, it only takes about 2-3 minutes if it's hot and for the pan, about 3-4 minutes per side.  All you're really doing is sealing everything in.

I made some french fries to go with these. If making the the garlic sauce, you can use as a dipping sauce. It's a really yummy dish, hope you enjoy it as much as we do!


No comments:

Post a Comment