Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Fantastic glaze for ham

Sorry about the lack of pictures for this post. I made this New Year`s Day, and it was literally 5 minutes until the ham came out of the water that I decided to do this.  I bought one of the prepackaged hams at Coop (they are on mega sale on Christmas Eve) and boiled it for about 60 minutes (you can also microwave it for 3 minutes, but I have never tried it). Now, my ham was what I like to call Piglet sized, so I did not use as much as the recipe I saw called for.

Here is the original recipe

While your ham is boiling (or microwaving) away, prepare your glaze in a bowl and set the oven to 200 C.  I only left the ham in the oven for 5 or 6 minutes, enough for the glaze to turn from a liquid, into a glaze.  The ham is already cooked by this point, so it is fine.


1/2 c brown sugar (or muscavado)
1 Tbsp of flour
1/4 tsp of dry mustard
1/8 tsp of cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbls of dry sherry
1 1/2 Tbls of white wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbls of water









To make brown sugar, you can use 1 cup of white sugar and 1 Tblsp Molasses.


Mix up.


Slice your ham into a diamond pattern so that the glaze can coat more of it.  Simply slice diagonally across the length of the ham, then reverse and slice the opposite way.



I poured the extra glaze on top of the sliced pieces of ham once it was done. It was fantastic, and sadly there were only leftovers for one sandwich the next day as hubby loved it so much.


Do try it for your next ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment