Saturday, November 19, 2011

Alper Magronen

hmmm...I made this one a while back but don't seem to have posted it.  Now that it's getting cold though I think it would be great to try again.  I thought the recipe I used tasted good, but it ended up tasting more like Scalloped Potatoes and Ham to me rather than the one I had when we went to Elm last year.

So here goes - keeping in mind that I will be changing it up a bit next time I make it :-)

What you need:
1/2 kg of potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 onions, thinly sliced (into rings, not diced)
250g macaroni
300g bacon or mushrooms (I only used bacon but I think some mushrooms would be good.  Also perhaps bigger chunks would be better)
150g mountain cheese  - I used the Bunderkaese but the original recipe suggests blending 2 cheeses.
1.5 dl of cream
 A pad of butter (enough to saute your onions in as the bacon will add more grease)
4-5 dl vegetable bouillon
nutmeg and pepper to taste

Peel and dice the potatoes. Cut the onions into rings.

Melt the butter and saute the onions, adding the bacon after 2 minutes.  Add the potatoes and continue to saute for 5-6 minutes.  Add the macaroni noodles.

Pour some bouillon into the pan - about 1/2.  When the liquid is absorbed add a little more (think risotto).  Simmer for 10 minutes total (the potatoes and pasta should then be cooked).

Mix in the cream and shredded cheeses, reserving some cheese to sprinkle on top if desired.  Season with the nutmeg and pepper.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment